Welcome to Sri Chenna Kesavapperumal Devasthaanam
Chenna Kesava Perumal temple, located at Devaraja Mudali Street in Sowcarpet area of Chennai city, India, is one of the few tempels built with the aid from the British East India Company. Chenna Kesava Perumal temple is very old. The original Chenna Kesava temple was located even in the 17th century AD in the location where the Madras High Court is currently located.
The British East India Company demolished this temple in 1757 AD. Due to public outcry, they donated land and some money to Manali Muttukrishna Mudaliar, who built the new Chenna Kesava Perumal temple in the year of 1762. Along with this Vishnu temple, he also built a temple for Shiva - Chenna Malleeswarar temple, thus Chennai got twin temples. There is a theory that the city Chennai was named after the Chenna Kesava Perumal temple. When the original temple was present, there were a lot of problems in Chennai such as invasion by French and Tipu Sultan. The priests of the temple took the idols of Chenna Kesava to Tiruneermalai temple near Chennai.